Hair Loss After Pregnancy

Hair Loss After Pregnancy

A woman's hair falls out in different phases after pregnancy. This is because estrogen increases during pregnancy and stays longer in the growing phase. After childbirth, estrogen levels return to normal. However, 3 to 4 months after childbirth, hair falls out more than usual. It is common to experience hair fallout during this time, so the best way to prevent it is to take care of the underlying cause.

Vitamin deficiencies

Excessive hair fall is a common symptom of a vitamin deficiency. A dermatologist can diagnose the vitamin deficiency based on your dietary habits and health history and may recommend taking vitamin supplements or having your blood tested for a vitamin deficiency. The good news is that most vitamin deficiency hair loss is reversible. Treatment can begin within a month after taking the medicines, although new hair growth will take time to reach the length of the previous hair.

Hair loss can be a sign of a vitamin deficiency, or it can make a problem worse. Hair loss caused by a vitamin deficiency can also signify other health problems, including anemia. Taking a multivitamin supplement daily can help prevent hair loss after pregnancy, and it can help treat a thinning scalp. In addition to providing nutrition for the hair follicle, a vitamin deficiency can also cause a condition known as androgenetic alopecia, which affects approximately 65 percent of men and twenty-three percent of women.

Telogen effluvium

If you have experienced hair loss after pregnancy, you may wonder what triggered the problem. Telogen effluvium is a temporary condition that typically resolves on its own within a year. This occurs when your hair follicles shed more than usual, and the scalp replaces the hairs it sheds. While telogen effluvium is an entirely natural reaction to pregnancy, it can also signify a more serious problem.

The most common symptom of telogen effluvium is increased shedding of hair. Your scalp has roughly 85% of hair follicles actively growing, with the resting hair remaining at only 15%. In addition to hormonal changes, a person's diet can cause telogen effluvium. Dietary changes such as drastic weight loss or chronic calorie restriction can lead to hair loss.

Stress hormones

Research suggests that prolonged periods of high cortisol levels can trigger hair loss. These high levels are associated with reduced hair growth and the adrenal glands' ability to produce the hormones that support hair growth. Furthermore, sustained high cortisol levels can lead to a decreased metabolism, impaired mental function, and a weakened immune system. All of these consequences can harm your body and hair.

Pregnancy causes a significant increase in cortisol levels in the blood, especially during the third trimester. Studies have shown that this hormone decreases the synthesis of the hair protein called proteoglycans, which are essential to hair follicle function. Hair follicles need proteoglycans to grow and shed. Pregnancy causes many women to experience hair loss. Although hair loss from stress is not a permanent condition, it is a common side effect of the hormonal changes that come with pregnancy.

Thyroid disorders

During pregnancy, some women experience hair loss due to thyroid disorders. This condition can also be caused by an overactive thyroid or benign thyroid nodules. Thyroid nodules can either be large enough to see with the naked eye or small enough to feel. A thyroidectomy may be necessary to remove the entire thyroid or just one lobe. After the thyroidectomy, hair regrowth usually returns to normal.

The incidence of thyroid disorders is five to eight times higher among women than in the general population. Untreated thyroid disorder increases the risk of many serious diseases, including osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, and infertility. The condition can be triggered by physical or emotional stress, which affects the immune system. Hashimoto's thyroiditis is seven times more likely in women, while postpartum thyroiditis affects between 5 and 10 percent of new mothers.